You have no items in your shopping cart.
2 CIM Ball Shifter Description
VEXpro Ball Shifters provide a battle-proven 2-speed gearbox for easy integration into any FRC robot drivetrain. By utilizing a ball-lock style shifter, this gearbox is capable of “on-the-fly” shifting even when at full throttle. The VEXpro 2 CIM Ball Shifter includes mounting for one or two CIM-style motors. Three carefully selected ratio options allow for maximum versatility.
Every aspect of this transmission was designed with size in mind. The 2 CIM Ball Shifter puts a 2-speed transmission into a tiny, lightweight form factor. The ball lock shifting method reduces the gap between the two gear reductions and allows for an extremely narrow assembly. The gear reductions were specifically chosen to reduce the overall transmission size and complexity while remaining highly efficient due to the AGMA 11 quality gears with teflon infused ceramic coating.
- Weight: 2.50 lbs
- Ball-lock shifter method enables smooth shifting, even at full speed
- Designed for use with one or two CIM Motors
- Housing is completely enclosed - keeps metal chips out, grease in
- Face mount or install using the included mounting angle
- Designed to mount a Grayhill 63R series encoder (can be adapted for any encoder with male 1/4" shaft)
- Assembly Required, see instructions below
- Encoders, Motors, Cylinder not included
Note: A pneumatic shifting cylinder and fitting kit is not included in the Ball Shifter kit.
Be sure to add these below in the "Pneumatic Cylinder & Fitting Options" category if needed.
2 CIM Ball Shifter Reduction Stages
High Gear Stage: 44:40
Low Gear Stage: 60:24
3rd Stage Option 1: 64:20
3rd Stage Option 2: 60:24
3rd Stage Option 3: 54:30
3rd Stage Option 4: 50:34
2 CIM Ball Shifter Overall Reductions & Spread
|Gearbox||Overall High Gear Reduction||Overall Low Gear Reduction||Spread||2-Stage||3.667:1||8.333:1||2.27x|
|3-Stage 60:24||9.167:1||20.833:1||2.27x||3-Stage 54:30||6.601:1||14.999:1||2.27x|
The 2.27x spread between low and high gears in the VEXpro 2 CIM Ball Shifter was specifically chosen to serve the needs of FRC designers. When designing an FRC drivetrain, teams typically try to ensure that the robot low-gear can survive a continuous pushing match (with high traction wheels) without tripping breakers. They then choose a high-gear which is "fast" enough to zip around the field, without being uncontrollable or accelerating too slowly. After doing detailed market research, we learned that many teams have found themselves frustrated and limited by the typical spreads found in some of the "off the shelf" shifters on the market. When their low-gear is at the right speed, the high-gear is too fast, or when their high-gear is in the right spot their low-gear is too slow. Not anymore; this shifter is right where FRC robots need it to be.
2 CIM Ball Shifter Parts & Optional Accessories
Some of these parts and kits are included with Ball Shifters, check the Kit Contents list below for details.
- Ball Shifter Long Output Shaft Assembly with 60t and 44t Ball Shifter Gears (included with 2-Stage)
- Ball Shifter Long Output Shaft (no gears)
- Ball Shifter Short Output Shaft Assembly with 60t and 44t Ball Shifter Gears (included with 3-Stage)
- Ball Shifter Short Output Shaft (no gears)
- Ball Shifter Hardware Kit (included with 2- & 3-Stage)
- Ball Shifter Encoder Hardware Kit (included with 2- & 3-Stage)
- Ball Shifter Housing (included with 2- & 3-Stage)
- Ball Shifter Pneumatic Hardware Kit (included with 2- & 3-Stage)
- Ball Shifter Pneumatic Fitting Kit (not included)
- Ball Shifter Ball Kit (included with Long and Short Shaft Assemblies)
The 2 CIM Ball Shifter 3rd Stage Kit can be used to upgrade an existing 2 Stage Ball Shifter to a 3 Stage version.
Encoder Output Details
Encoder output spins at 3x the speed of the 2 CIM Ball Shifter output shaft. The gear ratio is 36:12 between the encoder and shaft.