V5 Smart Motor (11w) Update
VEX has confirmed that there is a manufacturing error in a small run of V5 Smart Motors (11W). This only applies to a small production run of the Rev 10 version of motors (more details below).
- Under normal circumstances, all Rev 10 motors will perform correctly and not fail.
- Affected Rev 10 motors will only fail when used in Voltage Mode and commanded to run higher than 11V and then commanded with a reverse in direction.
- Affected Rev 10 motors will not fail if you avoid Voltage Mode.
- See this VEX Library Article on how to protect Rev 10 motors with code.
VEX’s Corrective Action
- VEX will replace failed and functional Rev 10 motors at no cost to you.
- VEX will pay for shipping both ways.
- VEX currently will limit returns to 8 motors per team or school to expedite for Teams competing.
- In the future, VEX will raise or eliminate the limit.
Determine if you have Rev 10 motors
The Rev 10 motors began manufacturing in early 2022. Not all motors manufactured in 2022 are Rev 10. Rev 10 is Not marked on the outside of the motor.
- For working motors
- Run the program at motortest.vex.com to see if your motor is Rev 10.
- For failed motors
- Failed motors will not have a red light on the smart port when connected to a powered V5 Robot Brain.
- Locate the date code on your motor (see image to the right).
- If the first four digits of the date code is “2143” or higher it is possible that this motor is a rev 10 and can be returned.
- First determine if you have Rev 10 motors (above).
- Fill out the form at rev10rma.vex.com.
- For teams use one form per team number.
- For schools not associated with a team, use one form.
- For international customers, please reach out directly to your respective IFI Office listed at support.vex.com
- You will receive an email from VEX with a confirmation and ticket number.
- You will receive an email from FedEx within 24-48 hours with a shipping label.
- Ship your Rev 10 motors using the printed label.
- As soon as VEX receives your motors and verified them, you will be shipped replacements.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you for your patience as we move through this process. If you have any further questions, please post them in the VEX Forum or send an email to email@example.com